Ottawa Linux Symposium, Day I

Category: , By AG
My first impression of Ottawa was..royally splendid! Literally. I haven't seen any US city downtown as royal as Ottawa. Is it mandatory here to have country flag (or some such) on every building? I miss my digicam. The glittering night view of the city of Ottawa from 23rd floor of my hotel room shows the Ottawa river and some boats. I like cities based alongside a river.

The talks so far were OK, there are roughly 4 parallel sessions for 4 full days. This specific conference is mainly for seeing people face to face and knowing whom you're working with. People meet here with whom they work almost 24/7 but never see them. This is there chance to talk to each other in person. This is an upside of working in open source...you know lot of people and lot of people know you. Not by the face, by your name. Work speaks. OLS is, unsurprisingly, different from traditional technical conferences. Emphasis here is more on practical implications and talks have more of implementation details unlike other technical conferences. Companies fund such conference becauase they want to be associated with Linux, want to spread the word that they do Linux. Some others do to build open source communities around projects of their interest.

Overall the talks are good. Its like those redhat days..hackers with pony tails talking hardcore kernel :) And its good to meet and know people. Source has power..to motivate and innovate. I'm with open source.

0 comments so far.

Something to say?