la fete du Canada!

Category: By AG
Its turning out to be my best conference so far. I like techie talks, and in a city with a French touch celebrating its 150th anniversary as capital of the nation..its amazing!

My BoFS at OLS did go well..with more attendance than I expected, even though it was friday night. I had already started feeling feverish, may be due to insufficient sleep and wandering in cold weather because of some credit card problem in the Hotel I'm staying (I lost my only debit card I had and the one I applied for hasn't arrived yet). The day after my talk, yesterday, I decided to take half day off..woke up late and went to wander around only to see that Rideau Canal is celebrating its 175th aniversary and the announcement of Rideau Canal as a UNESCO World Heritage Site! The area around canal was transformed into early 19th century, with troops, bands, blacksmiths, ladies and men with the periodic attires.

After the transformed period, I came back to cutting edge stuff of 21st century with James Bottomley giving a keynote address concluding OLS on "Evolution and Diversity: The Meaning of Freedom and Openness in Linux." I have two cents in response to his talk, but later.

The talk was followed by party at one of the local pubs. With almost in ready-to-fall condition due to body-ache, I just showed up for a while and came straight to the hotel.

Today is the day! The Canada Day. There are events going on throughout the nation, and especially in Ottawa for its 150th anniversary as Canada's capital. The celebration party at the Parliament Hill in Ottawa goes with a tagline "149 years in making." Dressed in red troops on horses, band mainly of bagpipers wearing skirts and cavaliers in long fur cap with its belt going tightly across the jaw just below the lower lip performed in the Parliament Hill early this morning. To my very surprise, the stage performace started with a Punjabi song, fused by the European and Mujra (derived from Kathak) dancers! Probably the most spectacular was the SkyHawk planes display from Canadian Air Force saluting the Parliament heads and the National anthem. Was truly splendid!! I guess this is best time to be in Canada, and Ottawa!

Now, after a grueling 5 hour stand in a feverish condition, am relaxing in my room. Although I eagerly await the fireworks late evening today.

A toutes et a tous, bonne fete du Canada! (copied ;))

0 comments so far.

Something to say?