Student, I am

Category: By AG
Laziness is the appropriate word for reasoning about my sporadic blogging activity. Although lot of shifting, moving and relocating could also justify why I didn't blog for the past month.

So, the OPT finally arrived and I headed to California as soon as I could. It was for Ramu and TNT, that I got a headstart in the bay area. Almost no weekend is idle since I came here.

Within couple days I ended up renting a 10x10 room in a 4-bed house. The owner James (kind hearted agedly American) lives in an RV and I guess makes his living by renting all his 4 bedrooms. The house is almost a garage-turned-into-house, with all the things James collected throughout his lifetime - books on cuisines, travel guides to as far as Thailand, antique knives, cryptic dated paintings and wall-hangings, couple couches, plenty cupboards, couple more couches, plenty lamps, couple VCRs, DVD / cassette players, a huge (almost 40 inch) TV with a barely-working remote. The house is unduly-furnished. Kitchen is well equipped..with every possible thing you'd need..and clean. Alongside is a nice eating area with a table with a window and a lamp..and a fat book on tours in US. Plus a backyard with a table, BBQ and lot of wood. All this is yours for less than 700 bucks a month. Mind you, you're right in the heart of Palo Alto and CA in general is expensive.

I'm yet to use kitchen and laundry. Only two things I do in my newly rented place is shower and sleep. Company I've taken up job with, VMware, is just 2.2 miles from this place and biking makes sense..in fact, its perfect in the CA weather. The company shifted to new locations within Palo Alto and the new place is right across the historic place - PARC, where many things were invented including laser printing, GUI, OO programming, and Ethernet. This place truly is a valley and after being in Kansas for a while its nice to see mountains around. Its a pleasant bike ride to and from the office.

I'm now loving this place..there are huge number of things to do and go. Last Sunday we drove to Lake Tahoe. Although its more scenic in winters, summers do no harm to the beauty of the place. Its splendid...especially the drive.

On the work side, its non-opensourse file systems for some time. But, efforts are on the way for stuff I'm doing be opensourced :). Its a nice place to be..and almost all the colleagues are from top 10 schools in the country. So some sharp minds doing some bleeding edge stuff.

Is work life supposed to be different? I don't think so..I'm still a student and will forever be!

And finally I also got my visa to Canada yesterday. I'm now definitely going to OLS :). I'II be hosting a Birds-of-a-feather session on my thesis topic - chunkfs. Will surely blog about it. See you at OLS!

2 comments so far.

  1. vivekaseeja 6:52 AM, June 25, 2007
    Have a question ..

    Does working in a Non-OSS company place any kinds of restrictions on your open source contributions in terms of legal bindings ?
  2. AG 6:20 PM, June 25, 2007
    This is not something I'm aware of..but I'd be certainly surprised if I'm abstained from working on chunkfs, for example. In general its pretty much do whatever you want..but don't clone the company products and don't work for the competitors. And I have no intention of writing patches for Xen ;)

Something to say?