Ethnic groups and hackers revisited

By AG
These days I usually sit out here at the DOW MRC region of the Hale library. (Did I mentioned before that the library facility here is huge? Probably not the huge-est...but huge among all I've seen so far. And it has such large boards all over with very witty remarks, like -

     "Share a table, 98% of K-State students don't bite."

) They (DOW MRC) have a pile of nicely arranged books - mostly on social issues, contemporary or otherwise...holocaust and stuff like that. It was a class of students here studying ethnic groups and culture, and one of the librarian was informing students about how to go about researching on ethnic topics, what resources to look for, type of books to go through..and things. So was freaked out of the day's classes...and her talk caught my interest (provided I have time, I'm mostly interested into anything thats off my core area of interest ;) She seemed informative and casual. There were huge number of huge books that she glanced through...felt I was reading the whole book in just a short span. Books on black women, ethnic writers, poets, bibliographies, asian revolutions, contemporary middle east...and more. Good part was I could interact with other fellows and with the speaker, as if it were my class :) Good break!

Ah, the hackers. Other day a friend of mine asked me how the movie Revolution OS (ROS) was and thers this comment by one of my buddies - debu asking about it, so I thought would be good posting it. You'd want to watch ROS if you'd want to have a complete account of the open source movement, right from the inception of the idea...to the making of it into a revolution. It talks about how brainies from Stanford, MIT, and other places came together to evolve upon the idea of open source and free software (free as in freedom). It includes extensive footage of interviews with RMS, Bruce Perens (definer of open source), Eric Raymond and the big tux himself - Linus Torvalds. I expected may be Alan Cox to be in there too..If I'd wish I'd want all the major kernel developers and subsystem maintainers to be in there as well ;) Was inspiring to watch it...must watch! The other day I had a chat with a guy from Microsoft...at first he sounded just like you and me...but later his talk converged into a Microsoftian (no hard feelings and am NOT anti-MS per se!) I know its a capitalist world, I know we have to feed our and our family's belly..but as a student I'd go for the things where I know I'II have most to learn!

I know I write too much at times! But these days I'm feeling much more organized and in control than I ever was since I was here. Whatever happens, one needs to just collect the pieces and move on...for world is not gonna wait for you, and person like me wouldn't want to be left behind ;)

5 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous 6:05 PM, February 07, 2006
    What are the other remarks your library has?
  2. AG 12:09 PM, February 15, 2006
    No. IIRC, the one we saw at GNUnify was The Code. I couldn't see whole of it at GNUnify...and couldn't catch hold of the guy who burnt the movie for us at the symbi :(

    This is newer. It shows how companies like Cygnus and VA Linux formed and is kinda inspiring. Its a must see! I'm not suggesting that I'm making the movie available..I hope you got it ;)
  3. AG 8:17 PM, February 15, 2006
    Hey Anon!

    Here are some other remarks:

    ram-bunc-tious - Boisterous and disorderly. Remember, this is not your mama's house.

    You don't have to be silent, but you can't party here.

    We all voted, the telephonic conversation that you just had was the most useless we ever heard.

    Though cockroaches thank you for adding to the cause, please pick up after yourself.

    Share a table - you may find the love of your life sitting next to you.
  4. Anonymous 5:52 AM, February 22, 2006
    Hey haven't seen any blog from you recently.You seem to be very busy.
  5. Tushar 3:44 AM, February 24, 2006
    Thanks for the review..Gotta arrange for the dvd from somewhere...

Something to say?