You'II be free, hackers, you'II be free!

By AG
Revolution OS. Starring Linus Torvalds, RMS, Bruce Perens, Eric Raymond and bunch of other kernel hackers.

Finally watched it..took me over a week to find time to watch it. A documentary worth seeing at least once...and may be more than once for open source enthusiast. Incidently I found the DVDs in my school library (theres huge media collection I didn't discovered until I thought of issuing out this DVD).

I had to watch it somehow. As the starcast suggest, its mainly about the open source philosophy and Linux kernel, the flagship project of the open source community. Its inspiring to see the open source philosophy getting mature over time. It depicts the entire open source movement right from the foundation of GNU. Has good interview footage of the most watched for hackers of linux community.

With this I added a sidebar to my blog of the recent reads and recent watchs. I'm kinda conservative when it comes to reading (non-technical) and watching movies. Unless I get good reviews (plural) from reliable sources, I don't readily watch / read. May not be a good habit, but at least saves time.

P.S.: title of the blog is from the free software song.

2 comments so far.

  1. Tushar 3:02 AM, February 24, 2006
    Hey!
    It seems like the movie is good. I shall watch it for sure. Just noticed that there is some autobiography of Linus. wanna know abt that.. Is that a good read??
  2. AG 8:46 AM, February 24, 2006
    Ya it says its an autobiography. The title is Just For Fun. I'm too hunting for it...books are kinda expensive here :( Did I mention before that the top entry of my Recent Reads is am still reading or my next book to read? ;) Surprisingly our library doesn't have it..and am not aware how to request one for the library (theres a list of books that I'd like to see in the library). Its available in one of the public libaries here...but no time to go and get a hold of it :(

Something to say?