Fresh off the boat

By AG
I anticipated this busy life..so was kinda ready for it. In fact waiting for it...here I can spend any amount of time in the lab...no mom to scold from background "zop ata" (now go to bed)!

Got (a couple) office here..a bit messy, with all the messed up cables, books and machines around...but got a couch as well to rest on. There was nothing on which I could get a current distro with 2.4 kernel running in a short time...so had to pick one of the old debians around. Its first time I'm using debian...its not that bad ;) But had to have a 'workable' distro...so net installed latest SuSE on another machine....suck that KVM doesn't work :( So have to switch around the machines. I think will reconfigure the systems soon..but less time!

The Indian Students Association here had arranged a welcome ceremony, Swagat, or an official ragging program ;) Was fun though. Its first time I celebrated/yearned to celebrate major festivals without my family :( And am being home, going home, departure cancelled, plane delayed until next month, am doing up-down from KS to Pune kind of dreams still continue. I finally changed my wrist watch time though - from IST to Central timezone.

They call it After hours. Its live shows / movies at almost-free prize and free food on every friday nights arranged by the school. Couldn't afford to miss! ;) We missed yesterday's movie by 10 minutes though, but free pizzas served were yummy! Then a drive to a coool breezy place late in the evening...and since we missed the after-hours movie...watched another one on laptop at midnight ;)

Raspberry, strawberry seems some national flavor or something..and I hate it! From the day I entered my apartment building, its smelling raspberry! Even the flight I boarded had same smell...also the hotel in which we stayed for the connecting flight. Free ice-creams served were strawberry, and 90% of times I pick a candy from stalls is strawberry! Need to get rid of that from the apartment and office atleast.

Ok, getting back to work now.

1 comment so far.

  1. AG 12:20 AM, September 23, 2005
    For sometime it feels good to have pizzas and all...but then it gets monotonous..unless you have lot of other options to eat. And then you miss the taste you've had throughout your life.

    I had become so used to my IST-timed watched that I could tell time here without any hassle ;)

    Ragging was kinda fun...we enjoyed it more than the seniors who did it. I didn't do anything except giving my intro :D

    Waiting for new crowd to come next fall when I'II be in senior's seat ;)

Something to say?