Swades

Category: By AG
Wow! Unfortunately I never completed movie Swades until today, that way I have a pretty long backlog of movies...I'm not prompt enough when it comes to watching movies.

As I mentioned in one of my previous blog, I'm spending some quality time of my life. I wish everyone gets to spend such moments. Early this month, my parents took _the_ flight from BOM to JFK, it was a long journey, very long, some not-so-pleasant, some almost breath-taking moments, an arduous journey..with pretty moments in between. I'm glad they are here...finally. They are glad they are here. While flying to SOSP last week I took Alaska Air. They are celebrating their 75th anniversary. One of their posters really touched me..it said "No matter where we go, we always remember where we came from." It showed a state-of-the-art boeing plane having a shadow of an age-old Stinson aircraft. I strongly and religiously believe in this. No matter what happens, never forget where we were, and what hardships we've been through to get here. Never forget the pretty faces on the way, could be your parents, friends, relatives, teachers, your own aspirations and ambitions, the ones who cheered you and pumped you to keep going. After all, I think, thats what humanity is, thats what is life. Look over the world, challenge and conquer it, but never foget the shoulders on which you are standing. In one of those stories that my mom reads during some devi puja on every thursday of that month..the gist of the story is (in marathi) "utu naye matu naye," that translates to when ultimately you get what you always wanted...never forget the way on which you came and the entities that supported you on the way...in other modern marathi words..."kadhihi maaju naye."

The theme of Swades is somewhat inline with this. The plight of the people shown is not mere artificial but an artifact of the rudimentary beliefs and socio-economic thinking. Mohan sees it all..his heart sinks heavily, Mohan goes back to his roots, he understands where he should be and what he should be doing.

One day, I will be Mohan!

1 comment so far.

  1. Sakthi 1:45 PM, October 25, 2007
    Most of younger generation have started to feel the importance of going back and helping the people in need, it feels good to see a lot of people think the same. Thats the first step, at least if a minor chuck puts in to practice it would have a great output.

Something to say?