What is a permalink?

By AG
Some people got confused about the term 'permalink' I used in one of my last post, and I got couple of queries as to what it is. So this post.

Word permalink is not coined by me, I saw it first on Blogger itself. It refers to a permanent link to a blog post, as per the Blogger terminology. If you open a blog, e.g. foo.blogspot.com, it displays first page with recent posts, and this page is usually generated by some server-side script and thus the contents of the page are temporary (Don't get confused between a blog and a blog post). If one were to refer to a particular post, the blog address won't serve the purpose. Permalink is a URL to a particular post. Effectively each post has a permalink. The link above in the first paragraph is a permalink.

Since the webspace I use for my site floats around (fortunecity -> brinkster -> mvhosted -> k-state -> ?), I had to pin it down to an unique URI. Usually I used to do it with a free .tk domain ;) But troubleseome part was that many of the SMTP servers I used, filtered out my emails as spam if I added my .tk domain in my email signature. So, registered a domain name. I just used the word permalink for a domain name. :)

0 comments so far.

Something to say?