SOSP 2007 - Stevenson, WA

Category: By AG
Its been a while. Spending some good time overall. Not as productive as I'd like, but ya, quality time :)

VMware (also) sponsored 21st SOSP this year. SOSP is a biennial ACM conference on Operating System Principles. Undoutably its one of the presitigious conference in operating systems area along with USENIX OSDI. I was fortunate enough to attend both of these, once as USENIX student scholar and now SOSP with VMware.

SOSP, though OS-focused,I found very inclusive to accept papers on programming languages not directly related to OS. The talks were excellent and so were the papers. Most notable were TxLinux, I/O Shepherding, Featherstitch, Amazon's Dynamo, and HP Lab's Sinfonia.

Got some great research feeds, revived my aspirations of PhD, and of course met some really sharp people.

SOSP is known for the locations where it is held. This year it was at Stevenson, Washington, about 40 minute north east of Portland. Very small town with nothing much in it. But fall was at its best and conference host hotel was at an excellent location. Very well picked indeed. SOSP brought some good tourist business around Stevenson overflowing the hotels in the region. For the first night I reached Stevenson at around 11 in the night and the place on the banks of Columbia river with railway line passing right next to the lodge and the place was without phones and TV. I felt adventurous. Those were individual rooms spread across a small area. The dim lights and the red-indian interiors with patio and wooden roofs and floors reminded me of those canibal movies :| Fortunately I was able to move to the hotel where the conference was hosted for the remaining nights, and it was much prettier. The view from the lobby of the hotel was stunningly awesome!

I'm yet to digest the info gathered. Might post here my notes as well.

Hope to be able to go to future SOSPs as well :)

0 comments so far.

Something to say?